Assisi St. Francis Generalate was built in 1973 and the residence and offices of Sister General were shifted to this house from Assisi Convent. Since the house was small, the building was extended in 1983 with the generalate offices, a Chapel, a conference hall and the residence of Sister General and councilors. The old generalate building was given for the use of tertainship sisters. All the important gatherings, retreats, seminars and other functions are conducted in the generalate.
Assisi Convent was constructed and completed in the year 1949. This is the first convent constructed for the Assisi Sisters and has become the Mother House of the congregation. At present we have 20 sisters staying in this community.
Msgr. Joseph Kandathil Memorial Cancer Research Centre (MJKMCRC) is a prestigious project, of Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate, for the development and creation of affordable, quality, comprehensive oncology services to the needy; all under one roof.
Msgr. Joseph Kandathil Memorial Cancer Research Centre was inaugurated by Cardinal Mar Varkey Vithayathil, Major Arch Bishop of Syro Malabar Church on December 15th 2007
Msgr. Joseph Kandathil (1904- 1991), who is known as Damien of Kerala, found the Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate (ASMI) congregation and the Greengardens institutions. The saga of ASMI group of institutions began with the creation of Poor Leprosy Home in 1942 in Cherthala, for the care and treatment of Leprosy patients. After controlling leprosy to an extent, in 1999 with a visiting oncologist the ASMI sisters turned its attention to oncology services.
MJKMCRC is dedicated to the memory of Msgr. Joseph Kandathil, our Father Founder.
The people of the locality were pressing Fr. Joseph to start a school for the many poor and uneducated children of the locality. Being a very poor and backward area, the parents were not sending children to the school. Fr. Joseph waited in prayer and reflection to discern God’s Will. The Lord inspired him to start the school as it was a need of the hour. He thought that if there was a school in this locality the children might start going to the school to receive knowledge and get character formation. Hence Fr. Joseph bought a plot of one acre and thirteen cents land adjacent to Assisi Convent. Fr. Joseph started the L. P. School with 1st and 2nd standard on June 7th 1954 in a thatched shed. Sr. Scholastica Mary the first sister who joined as a trained teacher was given the appointment as the Headmistress. In spite of the humble beginning of the school it developed into a U.P. School in 1966, educating thousands of children every year and became a model school and also the best school of Cherthala vicinity. The School was given its name as Little Flower U.P. School. At present the strength of our institution is 1214. We have 30 efficient and dedicated Teaching Staff and 04 Non-teaching staff. We have classes up to 7th, both English and Malayalam medium. Along with the curricular activities our students are active in extracurricular activities too.
The poor leprosy hospital, one of our major institutions is a 200 bedded hospital which was founded in February 1942 by our Father Founder Msgr. Joseph K. W. Thomas, who was known as the Kerala Damian. With his love and selfless service he has done much to eradicate leprosy. The various activities undertaken by this institution at present are briefly reported below:
At present we have an impatient department with 100 beds. Patients are admitted due to ulcer, eye complications, lepra-reactions, physiotherapy, and inter current diseases. Medical and Surgical specialists besides two leprologists cure patients.
In order to take care of the little ones in our area we have started a Nursery school here. We are running a play school, Nursery, L.K.G. and U.K.G. with 140 Students. We have 06–teaching and 01 Non-teaching staff. We are giving all the opportunities to develop their inborn talents and abilities. Also we are trying for their all-round development.
Welcome to a world of heightened health-consciousness, that is to a new era in healthcare, where global efforts in medical research and revolutionary breakthroughs have made the dread associated with ill health a thing of the past. The greatest gift God has entitled mankind to enjoy is health. Empowering people in all cultures and segments of society with necessary information and opportunities for health development is both an ethical and technical imperative.
The order of Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate was founded by the Msgr. Joseph Kandathil to support his mission of caring for the unwanted and socially discarded lepers.Msgr. Joseph who devoted his entire life as a priest for mitigating the suffering of the lepers founded a Hospital in 1942.The hospital was constructed braving widespread protests against the setting up of an asylum for the leprosy patients at Cherthala.The 50 bed hospital came up on a plot gifted by one of the parishioners of the Muttom Forane Church where Fr. Joseph was then serving as Assistant Vicar. As Fr. Joseph’s was an act that had few parallels in the province of the east while Travancore, the government also provided him substantial help in pursuance of his cause. In 1955 the Hospital was expanded into a 200 bed hospital.
Sacred Heart General Hospital, another Major Generalate Institution was founded in 1943. It extends its valuable services with compassionate love towards the poor and needy people near and far. It is a 250 bedded hospital. In the General hospital around 400 to 500 out patients come daily from different parts of the district and also 150 – 200 patients are treated as inpatients. It is run well with almost every departments, all the modern facilities of treatment with the specialist doctors and with modern equipments.
The St. Joseph Province came into existence with the Holy Mass offered by our Beloved Fr. Founder and Director Msgr K.W. Thomas Kandathil on 28th October 1987, at Neerpara. Sr. Michael Francis was the first Provincial. St. Joseph Provincial House at Ernakulam was Blessed and Inaugurated on 30th May 1996 by His Eminence Mar Antony Padiyara. St. Joseph Province has three Regions; Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Germany. The Province has spread its branches to Africa too. At present there are 332 sisters and 40 Communities. These communities are mainly in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Germany and Africa. Sr. Jaya Francis ASMI is the Provincial Superior and her Councillors are Srs Cletty, Titty, Smitha and Reshmy
There are 17 communities under Little Flower Province in Andhra Pradesh, mainly working among HIV patients, leprosy patients, in the hospitals, villages and special schools. In the year 2005 S.H province was bifurcated as NMP and L F Region. God in his mercy raised the region in to province in the year 2011. Sr Isbel Francis was elected as the first Provincial Superior under the heavenly patronage of St.Therese of Child Jesus. The province extended its boundaries to Germany, A P, Telegana, Orissa and in Kerala. 98 sisters are engaged in different communities in various apostolic services. Sisters committed their lives for the cause of the rejected of the society by following the foot prints of Jesus and the spirit of Father Founder. In the year 2017 provincial Synaxis elected Sr Elsy Francis as Provincial Superior, Sr Bonaventure Mary, Sr Hrudaya Francis, Sr Catherine Francis and Sr Prasanna Mary as councillors.
The Nirmal Mata Province was bifurcated from the Sacred Heart Province Nagpur in the year 2005 during its Provincial Synaxis and Sr Celestine Francis was its first Provincial Superior. It consists of 30 communities that are spread out in eight states of India and in Italy as well, with 184 professed sisters. Among this 35 are temporary professed sisters. In the 5th Provincial Synaxis of Nirmal Matha Province on 4th September 2018 re-elected Sr Mable Mary as the Provincial Superior and Sr Josephat, Sr Emily, Sr Litty and Sr Sachitha are the Councillors. The province extends its services in Madhya Pradesh, Utter Pradesh, Jharkhand, Utterkhand, North East and Chhattisgarh serving in the hospitals, schools, special schools, etc. For further details log in to the following
As our Congregation was bifurcated and the Sacred Heart Province formed in 1987 the ASMIs came to Nagpur for the first time in 1989, as per the invitation of His grace late Archbishop Leobard D’Souza, with a request to look after the mentally challenged of the city of Nagpur. The official inauguration of the Sacred Heart Province was on 14th November 1989 in a small old building in Mohan Nagar, Nagpur.
The newly constructed Provincialate was blessed by His grace late Leobard D’Souza, on 4th October 1992, on the feast day of patron St. Francis of Assisi. Rev. Sr. Celestine Francis was the first provincial superior.
In the year 2005 the mission Province was further divided into three, mainly based on language for effective evangelization- 1) Sacred Heart Province- for Maharashtra, 2) Nirmal Mata Province- Chattisgarh, M.P., U.P and Jharkhand, 3) Little Flower Region – Andra Pradesh.
At present Sacred Heart Province there are 126 sisters working in 18 communities. In Gorewada Village, 8 k.m. from Nagpur City, we have 3 acres of land in which there is a Formation house, Novitiate house and a chapel for Perpetual Adoration. The Adoration Chapel is the powerhouse of the Province as there is always one or two sisters praying for the world, church and congregation.
This is because our Father Founder wished that in the spirit of St. Francis, the apostolic activities of the sisters should not diminish their spirit of prayer and consecration to which all other temporal consideration must be subordinate. Thus the sisters integrate their work, prayer and daily life.
In Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra we have 4 centres namely Assisi Sevasadan Allapally, St. Francis Allapalli, SSM Convent Ettapalli and Snehashram Bhamargarh. Under the Assisi Sevasadan hospital Sisters are engaged in leprosy and T.B eradication program. They visit 320 villages in the interior forests. A team of sisters are working in the Hospital along with social awareness programs. Sisters in St. Francis Convent are fully dedicated in the education of the children of the locality. There are 1250 students in St. Francis English Medium School. Sisters are engaged in teaching ministry in Ettapalli and Bhamargarh. Nearly 100 poor children are given opportunity for studying, running a boarding in Nagapally. 175 children are in Ettappally